Would the Hl2rp Cp Leader Ranks make sense in the actual HL2 Universe?

• You have no Steam account connected! You will not be able to use all sections of this site unless you connect it. Click here to connect it.

Would the Cp Leader Ranks from the Hl2rp Gamemode that everybody knows and love's (OfC/SQL, EpU, DvL, DcO, CmD, SeC.) make any sense in any of the Cities of Actual Half-life 2? Does anyone have their thoughts about this subject? because I wonder how the Combine would work differently if these ranks were Actually "Characters" in Half-Life 2. (also I do know a few of the ranks mentioned are not in Impulse).

Edit: also thanks to Red Nixie I realised that it would not make any real sense for the human Combine rank structure to work through applications but Sterilization Credits, Even though a beta cp Voice line said that they were "Thinking about Enlisting"(probably enlisting for memory replacement or something)0:31, 3:02, and 4:16 about the subject of combine ranks and leading(Skyrionn's Video)

Last edited:

Desxon

Hunter
Nov 17, 2019
No not rly

Ranks are, purely signalling the process of brainwashing, higher rank = more brainwash

The only command units on the ground are probably Rank Leaders (dudes that are in charge of a specific PT)

And the last and only big boy is Dispatch: AI that coordinates everything and all PT's within the city

Minty

Headcrab
Mar 28, 2021
Scorpion Unit
Panel
View
Would the Cp Leader Ranks from the Hl2rp Gamemode that everybody knows and love's (OfC/SQL, EpU, DvL, DcO, CmD, SeC.) make any sense in any of the Cities of Actual Half-life 2? Does anyone have their thoughts about this subject? because I wonder how the Combine would work differently if these ranks were Actually "Characters" in Half-Life 2. (also I do know a few of the ranks mentioned are not in Impulse).
There was this thing called elite metro cop that was going to go in hl2 but it was cut, it would have had a proper ranking system in the universe if it was not removed. But imo I think a ranking system would sort of make sense but not with CmD and DvL or a DcO.

Reactions: Snipperking

qeqv

Barnacle
Aug 13, 2020
Panel
View
Well... we honestly don't know much about how the Combine operates, so this is a hard question to give a concrete answer to.

I believe that yes, similar ranks to the ones seen in HL2:RP could exist, though I tend to also believe that the rank structure would be much different from the one seen in HL2:RP. We already have the Overwatch Artificial Intelligence dispatching orders to Civil Protection units, then there are the Advisors, and god knows what other creatures may exist within the Combine's rank structure. Any "human" commanding units of Civil Protection would be there to just keep the faction from falling apart due to lack of organization, thus, in my belief, having ranks such as the CmD or SeC would be unlikely; the only ranks that I can say, with certainty, most likely exist are the Squad Leader ranks (not referring to the SqL rank).

TL;DR - basically what Desxon and Minty said combined.

CsBongos

Zombie
Dec 3, 2019
Scotland
www.youtube.com
Panel
View
No, because in canon HL2 lore; dispatch is the one dishing out all the orders and commands to Civil Protection.

Also, the argument could be made that having different divisions/ranks being visible on uniforms is stupid. Not only is it identifiable information, but will likely get you targeted by anti-citizen attacks. (Let's say your a HELIX, and your uniform displays that. They're targeting you first.)

There was this thing called elite metro cop that was going to go in hl2 but it was cut, it would have had a proper ranking system in the universe if it was not removed. But imo I think a ranking system would sort of make sense but not with CmD and DvL or a DcO.
Yeah so no "Super High ranking Cps", but I know the Cut elite civil protection and that they were supposed to be leaders but i wonder if they were supposed to be Just Rank Leaders Or Higher?.

No, because in canon HL2 lore; dispatch is the one dishing out all the orders and commands to Civil Protection.

Also, the argument could be made that having different divisions/ranks being visible on uniforms is stupid. Not only is it identifiable information, but will likely get you targeted by anti-citizen attacks. (Let's say your a HELIX, and your uniform displays that. They're targeting you first.)
True. also the link timestamps I now put in kind of matches what you said.

Last edited:

CreekMando

Headcrab
Jan 23, 2021
The Tops
Panel
View
I'm unsure. In HL2 Civil Protection does not have centralized command rank(s) aside from the Overwatch Voice. My theory is that the title of "Rank Leader" is something heavily fought to get in the CPF in HL2 due to the benefits it offers. I think that the CP taglines may give us a clue to how CP command works.

Taglines such as YELLOW, VICTOR, DEFENDER, ETC. Represent different CP regiments. That operate in in City Seventeen. I predict that these regiments are split into groups of 9 throughout the city, so if you kill a CP with the tagline of "NOVA 2" then the next day a new team shows up and you kill a separate "NOVA 2" you wouldn't be killing one person. This is most likely so Rebels cannot have centralized hit-lists on CPS. I think that there is no real command for these groups of 9 except the Rank Leader.

Additionally, Civil Protection are often in squads of 3 or 4 and they all have different taglines. This mean that the CPS once assigned to their regiment and groups of 9 will most likely be distributed into those squads to prevent work relations.

It would be VERY dangerous for the CPF is they had a actual SeC or CmD. Becuase the death of one could rupture the CP command structure and pre-maturely start The Uprising.

• Love
Reactions: Snipperking
I'm unsure. In HL2 Civil Protection does not have centralized command rank(s) aside from the Overwatch Voice. My theory is that the title of "Rank Leader" is something heavily fought to get in the CPF in HL2 due to the benefits it offers. I think that the CP taglines may give us a clue to how CP command works.

Taglines such as YELLOW, VICTOR, DEFENDER, ETC. Represent different CP regiments. That operate in in City Seventeen. I predict that these regiments are split into groups of 9 throughout the city, so if you kill a CP with the tagline of "NOVA 2" then the next day a new team shows up and you kill a separate "NOVA 2" you wouldn't be killing one person. This is most likely so Rebels cannot have centralized hit-lists on CPS. I think that there is no real command for these groups of 9 except the Rank Leader.

Additionally, Civil Protection are often in squads of 3 or 4 and they all have different taglines. This mean that the CPS once assigned to their regiment and groups of 9 will most likely be distributed into those squads to prevent work relations.

It would be VERY dangerous for the CPF is they had a actual SeC or CmD. Becuase the death of one could rupture the CP command structure and pre-maturely start The Uprising.
I love this Reply, it makes sense for the CmD or any super high ranking Cp to be a high target and could start the uprising.

Well... we honestly don't know much about how the Combine operates, so this is a hard question to give a concrete answer to.

I believe that yes, similar ranks to the ones seen in HL2:RP could exist, though I tend to also believe that the rank structure would be much different from the one seen in HL2:RP. We already have the Overwatch Artificial Intelligence dispatching orders to Civil Protection units, then there are the Advisors, and god knows what other creatures may exist within the Combine's rank structure. Any "human" commanding units of Civil Protection would be there to just keep the faction from falling apart due to lack of organization, thus, in my belief, having ranks such as the CmD or SeC would be unlikely; the only ranks that I can say, with certainty, most likely exist are the Squad Leader ranks (not referring to the SqL rank).

TL;DR - basically what Desxon and Minty said combined.
Agreed.(nice answer btw)

Flop

Hunter
Jan 13, 2020
Panel
View
Not really, the only real confirmed stuff is just: Rank Leader and then dispatch being at the top, we dont know if any ranks other than those exist, the intention system such as i4 -> i1 or the 00 -> 90 is only present in hl2rp servers