Vocoder related question

• You have no Steam account connected! You will not be able to use all sections of this site unless you connect it. Click here to connect it.

Fawful™️

Antlion
Nov 25, 2020
Italy
Panel
View
Strongly recommend against this, I did it myself for a month on Impulse and can easily say its a terrible experience for everyone.

All users that I am to meet so far using vocoders display levels of behavior from high immaturity all the way to toxicity (Toxicity being very common), I believe the one and only exception so far I've seen is TSGE.

I personally used FL-studio, as just like TSGE I was very proficient in sound design and was even often commended for sounding extremely accurate to Half life 2, but that does not matter, as nobody will understand you because not everyone is capable...Furthmore it requires you to speak in a very exhausting and annoying way to get even a minority of people to understand you at all, as you need to strongly emphasize your words and slow down your speech as the original voiceactors did for the UU delegates in Half life 2.

Speaking in greater depth about this: People (Myself Included) will automatically and subconsciously expect you to be a terrible person if you use a Vocoder, yet again completely fairly as it is very common.

Everything you say will sound aggressive or 'ticked off' due to the vocoder and especially if you try to emphasize your words for it to even be somewhat understandable.

Yet another downside to this is also the fact that it takes much lower noise levels to make you inaudible, even for those who can understand through thickly distorted Voicechangers like myself, so if even 1 other person is talking while you are it is impossible for ANYONE to understand either of you as their voice will be mixed with a fumbling static that is your vocoder

The only pro I can say for using a Vocoder is that it makes it much easier on you to behave cruelly IC and not feel bad because it very much emphasizes to those around you that VC from you is always in character, making it clear that you are not OOC'ly just a toxic cunt who wants to feel tough...Although unfortunately for most Vocoder users as mentioned earlier that is often actually the case.

You will never ever be able to talk OOC in VC while a vocoders on because nobody will pick up on it and assume it is IC or just kind of not want you there anyway (I often feel this when someone with a vocoder joins in a VC OOC conversation I've started and I often feel bad for feeling this way towards them but it clutters and ruins the conversation alot, whenever they speak nobody else can and it becomes a mess)

Another kind of mean-in-its-contents but true statement about vocoders is the truth that nobody really wants to admit aloud:

If you do not have a very imposing or masculine voice you will sound hilarious, this does not just mean sounding like a kid, infact I aim more towards the fact that alot of the CP's of impulse with vocoders often have very geeky voices, the vocoder only emphasizes this and makes you sound more silly.

I also see you have recently been promoted to
OFC, welcome, now please heed my words and do not use a vocoder...ESPECIALLY as an OFC, you will be mocked even more so than before because of how cliche the 'Vocoder-Powertripper-OFC' Is, regardless of how powertrippy you are or are not.

Now as for the 'intro/outro radio sounds' that you show interest in

As far as I have seen I am the only person yet to do that and I use that regularly, although of course no with a vocoder anymore.

How do you do it?:
An E2 I made

Can I have it?:
Not at the moment​
Just talk in VCs like a pro

Citizen! Bearing 1 20 Degrees

UmbralSNPY_VT

Barnacle
Aug 1, 2021
Panel
View
Considering that you have stated that you actually already use a vocoder, I now suggest you get off it ASAP. It's clearly disliked in the impulse community and carries around a terrible reputation.
I understand the concerns. However, as I have not experienced any problems while utilizing mine I will continue to use it. Mainly because its part of the fun for me.
Don't use them. They usually suck ass and fuck up your communication with your other units. You also sound edgy and cringey.
Edgy and proud.

UmbralSNPY_VT

Barnacle
Aug 1, 2021
Panel
View
Last time I went around without a vocoder or any kind of voice changer, citizens didn’t listen to me for shit. If anything there were more 148, 507s and public non-comps.

So generally for me, vocoder stays off for OOC voice chat or if I’m tired.
Sensible :)