The Retail and The Beta

• You have no Steam account connected! You will not be able to use all sections of this site unless you connect it. Click here to connect it.

Flop

Hunter
Jan 13, 2020
Panel
View
Everyones "YEAH BETA COOL :D" but its still more or less concept arts and unfinished maps unused models and voicelines, sure lore is darker but its trying to much imo, and valve, the ones who created good fucking games, scrapped it for a reason so if valve didnt think it'd make a good fun game- it wouldnt make a good fun game.

The Apex Typhon

Headcrab
Jan 22, 2021
That one rainy place that loves potatoes.
Panel
View
Everyones "YEAH BETA COOL :D" but its still more or less concept arts and unfinished maps unused models and voicelines, sure lore is darker but its trying to much imo, and valve, the ones who created good fucking games, scrapped it for a reason so if valve didnt think it'd make a good fun game- it wouldnt make a good fun game.
I mean, gameplay wise, the beta would've been a clusterfuck, but I really liked the lore and some of the old concepts.

Reactions: Schnuffle Bunny

Flop

Hunter
Jan 13, 2020
Panel
View
I mean, gameplay wise, the beta would've been a clusterfuck, but I really liked the lore and some of the old concepts.
Fair but I more or less personally base off games based on if its fun for me to either watch or enjoy playing and if it cant deliver on that two fronts? It wont survive long, sure lore will be discussed depending on how big fandom of said game and or how long it stays popular but that too will wear off if its general re-playablity or playing it is a nightmare. (Again all my thoughts lol, /shrug)

Millhouse

Headcrab
Jan 10, 2021
Fuckinnn uhhhh Scotland
Panel
View
Retail, it was a completely original idea with a extremely fun gameplay. I view the beta as some sort of novelty, everyone wants to experience it in some way but when they do it is quite underwhelming. One of the main reasons why valve switched up their storyline/aesthetic was because the combine was way too similar to any other authoritarian regime in the media, it was quite literally 1984.

Flop

Hunter
Jan 13, 2020
Panel
View
Retail, it was a completely original idea with a extremely fun gameplay. I view the beta as some sort of novelty, everyone wants to experience it in some way but when they do it is quite underwhelming. One of the main reasons why valve switched up their storyline/aesthetic was because the combine was way too similar to any other authoritarian regime in the media, it was quite literally 1984.
Literally 1984

Reactions: Schnuffle Bunny

Raf6

Houndeye
Mar 28, 2020
Panel
View
I see that liking retail over beta isn't the unpopular opinion that I thought it was. Yes, yes, Half Life 2: USSR Edition was "darker" because the sky was darker, but really it was just as grim of a setting as the normal HL2. I love retail for being dark without being in your face about it: you drive around the countryside, the sun still shines, the seagulls still sing, the waves roll against the beach.
You gotta notice things yourself, like that the ocean is at a way lower level, that the Combine commits atrocities Mao, Hitler and Stalin could only dream of doing, all in plain daylight and that - except for birds, bugs and (ordinary) barnacles - you don't see a single Earthly animal at any point. The world and mankind are fucked and it's not even that obvious. That kind of worldbuilding is what makes it superior to "hurdur, bad Russian man that looks kinda like Putin is in charge of generic space aliens opression of Earth and, uh, children are in factories! Get it? DO YOU GET OUR CLEVER PARALLELS????!"
Also it's probably because of its unfinished nature but Beta's gameplay looked kinda whacky compared to simple elegance of retail.

Post-scriptum: retail vortigaunts

Nov 16, 2019
United Kingdom
Panel
View
if you're interested in hl2 beta stuff check out radiation hazard, you might have heard about him from his "the npcs are dead incident" video but he has a bunch of videos on old maps and features (and a couple vids on gmod stuff like city 8 and i17)