[CP GUIDE]: How to operate efficiently on the field as a ground unit.

• You have no Steam account connected! You will not be able to use all sections of this site unless you connect it. Click here to connect it.

Mistery14

Headcrab
Dec 10, 2019
Panel
View
Introduction

Before we begin, I would like to link the official civil protection handbook. Please note that this handbook is not my work and that the guide below is based on personal experience.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wk8OwyuT7SwYJNVLsVsTZPvjpf_Vs5QaJVgpCvfhjCk/edit

What is a ground unit?

- A ground unit is a civil protection unit with a rank that is not considered high-command. They are expected to follow orders from HC and stay coordinated whilst doing so.

Ground units, as of now, are referred to by rank like the following: i4 - i3 - i2 - i1.

What is the difference between an i4 and an i1?

- An i4 is typically what we consider a recruit or a newly recruited unit. An i1, on the other hand, is a unit that is supposed to have experience in the field. The i1 is better equipped and can assume leadership roles, although not officially if high-ranking units are absent. They can assume leadership of patrol teams, however.

The i4, is completely new to the force and therefore did not receive any alterations to their memory. Failure from their part is oftentimes regarded as mere inexperience, as opposed to an i1, which is memory-replaced. Memory replacement is the alteration of the memory as the name implies, essentially making an i1 bound to the Universal Union in such a way that they cannot possibly go rogue*. Failure from their part is oftentimes regarded as being defunct, and it is not tolerated.

Essentially, the higher up you go, the more you are expected to do your duties accordingly and efficiently. You cannot go rogue at i3 as above that you start to recieve memory replacement.

Rogue*: A unit going rogue means that they have abandoned their duties as a civil protection unit and have either joined the resistance or operate alone and oftentimes out of the city.

1. Divisions

When it comes to the Division part of things, I will redirect you to this guide made by RWboi, which explains the various division roles.

2. Organization on the field.

So. All of these ranks and divisions, but to what end, exactly?

- Well, here comes the part where the organization in the force is key. None of the ranks and divisions above mean anything if they do not work together effectively.
Here is an example of how to perform your duties to the best of your ability and most efficiently when on the field. Organization and coordination will make the difference between life and death.

Communication

Communication is crucial when patrolling in the city. It's the meat and potatoes of the force. No unit is efficient when they do not communicate with one another. Knowing your codes, which I will link to here again, is also another example of good communication.

You should never clog the radio with gibberish, or meaningless chatter. What it can do, is that gibberish or nonessential chatter you say might overlap with a unit asking for help, or a unit reporting in something to their superiors for example. The best thing to do in that case is to /pm someone.

Proper use of radio and proper communication is key to success and preserving your life when operating in the field. No one likes a bad surprise.

Patrolling & Responding

If I could describe patrolling in two simple words, I would say: "Never alone" - Why? There are multiple reasons as to why you should never patrol alone:

- Loss of life: Not only are you exposing yourself to an increased chance of dying when patrolling alone, you expose your fellow units to the same fate if they rush to your position unknowingly.

- Loss of resources: There is a good chance that your gear and tokens end up in the wrong hands. That could result in the same resources you had a moment ago being used against your fellow units.

Here is why you should always patrol at least in a pair, or better yet, join/establish a patrol team:

- Increased firepower & manpower: You have a lot more chances of having the upper hand in combat when coming across a threat and fewer chances of being targetted by rebels.

When responding to a request, a biosignal loss, a report from a citizen, a disturbance you witnessed, it is ALWAYS best that you call for backup first. Never respond alone for the exact same reasons.

tip: when patrolling in a PT, always make sure you have a unit watching the PT's back, that can save you and your team from ambushes.

Combat & Tactics

Now onto combat and tactics.

- If you find yourself alone and you are suddenly attacked by multiple rebels, the last thing you want to do is run towards them to "Try and get them" - No. That will get you killed. That axe rebel hitting you and running could be a decoy for a bigger ambush. Their sole purpose is to isolate you to kill you. Nothing else.
If they simply try and run towards you, just get some distance and defend yourself with your firearm.

The best response to that would be to defend yourself whilst retreating. If it is a rebel wielding an axe trying to get you isolated, get some distance, make sure they are not following you, and report that in the radio and wait for backup. They will most likely expect you to chase after them and stay put to ambush you. But if you report their last position and the weapon they used, you and your fellow units WILL get the upper hand most of the time, even if an ambush is behind that.

How do you deal with a suspected ambush?

- This is where the different divisions come into play. You most likely have all of the divisions currently active, if a GRID and a HELIX unit can respond to your distress call into the radio, instead of simply rushing into any building or area, the GRID unit may throw a tear gas grenade into the suspected area and you can carefully sweep inside with other responding units. If the building/area sweep proves to be successful, a HELIX unit may heal all of the involved units. This is an example of good coordination between units.

What happens when you are faced with heavily armed rebels?

Let's be very clear on that; they have the upper hand most of the time. If your patrol team is attacked, you should immediately retaliate in a suppressing manner and take cover. Have a unit report it in immediately, or report it yourself, there is no need for all of you to be defending at once. All that does is isolate your PT from other units that could be responding. Of course, there is always bio-signal loss, but the more informed your fellow units are and the fastest, the better they can respond accordingly.

A good example of how to handle these sorts of attacks is the following: You are in a patrol team of three units, and three or more heavily armed rebels begin to attack.
One of you retreats whilst the other two proceeds to do suppressing fire by turn, taking cover by turn. While that happens, you report the situation or give a distress call to additional units.

If they happen to rush you, defend yourselves the best you can. Space out. Do not stay in one position and don't make yourself a bigger target by staying together.

Civil interactions

Interacting with civilians is what you might end up doing the most during your time in the city. Here is how you can improve your experience doing so:

- Avoid being a jerk. If you are being mean to civilians on purpose, you can never know who supports the resistance and they might spread the word. You might become a very interesting target, especially if you tend to wander alone. This does not mean letting yourself being step on your toes, this means being reasonable.

- Be understanding, but strict. If you are detaining or searching someone, explain them why they are being detained or searched whilst being clear they do not have a choice. They do not have the right to oppose themselves to your demands. It might irritate them but if they do not have anything on them or if they have nothing to hide, there is no reason they should even oppose themselves in the first place.

- Do not allow them to lead you anywhere. If they ask to follow you, you report that in and wait for additional units. Them being a civilian does not mean they cannot possibly work for the resistance. Be on your toes about such things.

- Not every civilian is ill-willed. If you find a civilian to be cooperating, there is no reason to act like they've done something wrong or yell at them. Be stern, but do not get aggressive just because you can.

Last edited:

Mistery14

Headcrab
Dec 10, 2019
Panel
View
Making a CP guide where you instruct CP's to

It's always better. Because they'll always ask. It's very very simple, you tell them before they have a chance to complain about it. Otherwise, you end up stuck, out on the streets, having to argue with a citizen why a multi-universal empire can't put him in jail for five minutes.

That increases your risks of just getting shot, that's all it does. The citizen just stalls you when complaining. Just say: "Yep you just did X." and you're done.

Last edited: